Saturday, November 24, 2012

week 12 blog


This assignment was not difficult to read but to be honest it was hard for me to understand. I read the article and watched the video. But still could not grasp how this would ever apply to me. So I went and did a search about long tail and found a site www.newfangled.com/examples_of_the_long_tail_effect which compares nexflix and blockbuster and I could understand that. But as I said at the beginning I do not see how this long tail would apply to me. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Every time you buy an article on Etsy for instance, or Amazon, or rent an obscure movie on Netflix you're part of the Long Tail. It's about items that are interesting to only a small group of people still getting to be published, made, distributed, since there is now a way for that small group of people to hear about them. For instance, there are folks who like to play "wizard wars" type games. The foam swords they use are handmade or homemade. Wal-Mart would never order them for their shelves b/c the demand is too small, but with the Internet these low demand items can still be marketed and sold and the manufacturer/creator, and they can make a living off this tiny sub-genre of consumers.

    ReplyDelete